Thursday, June 18, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance, Week 2

I found last night's performance show disappointing. While the judges certainly seemed to be impressed, there weren't any numbers that made me pick up the phone. Everyone was good, I didn't find anyone great.

This is, of course, the problem with TV versus live. It's impossible for us at home in our living rooms to experience the dances in the same way those seeing it live can. The emotions that I'm sure feel very real in the theater, can feel false at home. An example is Vittolio and Asuka's waltz, which was certainly beautiful, but the emotions it brought out in the judges shocked me. They talked about the "truth" behind Vittolio's performance and I just didn't see it, I saw someone dancing steps.

Truthfully, while technically the dancing may be better this season, I haven't seen any stand out performers yet. I keep thinking back to some of my favorite pieces from last year, and I want to see emotion like this:

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm human, so I've got some issues, but all things considered I guess I'm reasonably normal. My parents are still married. My best friends are my sisters...okay, so I'm normal for the 1850's whatever. I'm opinionated and nerdy. I'm walking the line between tweener-style pop culture love (witness my ever-burning New Kids love and inexplicable Twilight obsession) and elitist culture snob (I can't seem to get enough 19th century British Lit and historical biographies) but, after 30 years, I'm finally learning not to give a crap what anyone else thinks about me. Oh, and those are my feet in the picture. The socks were made by a friend.

Site Meter