Saturday, April 17, 2010

For the love of Sci-Fi

I admit it, I totally judge books by their covers.

While killing time in a Borders in early March, I came across a book with an intriguing cover called Your Hate Mail will be Graded, a collection of entries from the blog "Whatever" written by John Scalzi. I'd never heard of it or him, but the blog had celebrated its 10th anniversary in 2008, making it one of the longest running blogs on the interwebs. I ended up buying the book and reading it pretty quickly.

After I finished reading it, I subscribed to the blog on my Google Reader where I came to discover that Scalzi also authored sci-fi novels. This discovery led me to a new realization, while most anyone who knows me would acknowledge that I have a predilection for Sci-Fi TV and movies, it had been years since I'd read any sci-fi (excepting Michael Crichton and Jules Verne). In fact, I can't remember having read any since I switched over from Young Adult to adult novels (you know, back before Harry Potter, when adults didn't read kid's books). I wondered why this was and decided that it came down to covers. The covers of most Sci-Fi novels look cheap and or cheesy to me, I simply don't find them appealing.

So, I made the decision to pick up some Sci-Fi novels and, of course, I started with Scalzi's. So far I've read 1 1/2 of his 4 book Old Man's War series, and I love them. Once I finish this series, I'll be moving on to Ender's Game, Dune, and Starship Troopers amongst others. I've learned an important lesson and made a significant step in my journey of geek-self-acceptance. So, John Scalzi, just in case you have happened to Google yourself and come upon this entry, thank you, you've expanded my horizons and added hundreds of books to my "To Be Read" list!

Time to sign off, the new Doctor Who starts with a special in 7 minutes and I can't wait to see what Stephen Moffat has done with the franchise!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! Hi @ Scalzi too, how cool to get a comment from the author so quickly! :) I've read your blog too, and enjoy your writing style.

    Heather: Do you know about tor.com? Great source of sci-fi.

    -Nate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Think I should let you know, I told Don about you wanting to read Sci-fi and I think he already has a list of books in mind that he thinks you will like...so be prepared for his suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about it, but maybe the covers is why I've stayed away from sci-fi too.

    I hope you like Dune more than I did. I'll tell you what I thought of it after you read it. ;o)

    Peace and Laughter,
    Cristina

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Nate, I didn't, I'll check it out when I get through what I have...and the ones my brother-in-law apparently has for me!

    @Pandahead, it's only fair, I've given him plenty of lists!

    @JP, I like the movie, so I thought I'd give it a shot. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I'm human, so I've got some issues, but all things considered I guess I'm reasonably normal. My parents are still married. My best friends are my sisters...okay, so I'm normal for the 1850's whatever. I'm opinionated and nerdy. I'm walking the line between tweener-style pop culture love (witness my ever-burning New Kids love and inexplicable Twilight obsession) and elitist culture snob (I can't seem to get enough 19th century British Lit and historical biographies) but, after 30 years, I'm finally learning not to give a crap what anyone else thinks about me. Oh, and those are my feet in the picture. The socks were made by a friend.

Site Meter