Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Mathilda Savitch by Victor Lodato

Mathilda's older sister is dead and her parents aren't handling it very well. On top of that, terror continues to be the big story across the country.

I'd like to be able to give more of the plot, but after finishing this book, I'm still completely unclear as to what exactly the point of it was. Sure, Mathilda learned a little bit about her sister's final days and *seems* to have come to terms with her mother's aloofness, but Mathilda is rather strange and fickle throughout the story and the book ends abruptly.

I can see this being a book that could appeal to some people, but the style was not for me. Mathilda grated on my nerves, alternately whiny and self-righteous, intuitive and down -right stupid, I found her to be completely unlikeable. People may argue that it's our flaws that make us human, which is true and I celebrate the authors who can bring a flawed character to life and make us root for them, Lodato could not. I stayed up late to finish this book solely to get it over with, it's done, the review is written and now I can move on to something I hope I will actually enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
I'm human, so I've got some issues, but all things considered I guess I'm reasonably normal. My parents are still married. My best friends are my sisters...okay, so I'm normal for the 1850's whatever. I'm opinionated and nerdy. I'm walking the line between tweener-style pop culture love (witness my ever-burning New Kids love and inexplicable Twilight obsession) and elitist culture snob (I can't seem to get enough 19th century British Lit and historical biographies) but, after 30 years, I'm finally learning not to give a crap what anyone else thinks about me. Oh, and those are my feet in the picture. The socks were made by a friend.

Site Meter